kitchen furniture, Interior Decorations, home design ideas, modern homes, luxury interior design Modern kitchen, Kitchen remodel

Powered by Blogger.

The Slow Home Movement.

Posted by lasta Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I found a fascinating site called The Slow Home. It is an international movement dedicated to fighting suburban sprawl. Basically, its goal is to encourage people not to discard existing older neighborhoods, for the flashier; built over-night subdivisions. This idea is something I am very passionate about, and that is why I love this site. When I first moved to Houston, I lived in the suburbs; in a cookie-cutter house. Honestly, I had never lived in such an upscale neighborhood. What I soon discovered was that I felt like any amount of creativity had been choked out of the entire area. Everyone had the same house, same cars, same furniture, etc. I quickly grew to be very unhappy. Since then, Mark and I gave up our big home for a much older tinier one. Obviously, older homes have their share of problems; but the proximity to town and the sense of community; makes it worth it. At some point, we hope to move to a larger home, but we can't go back to the suburbs.

(Levitt Goodman House)

The Slow Home site has a huge amount of info. for anyone looking to improve their older home. It also has lots and lots of wonderful pictures. These are a few of my favorites.

I am CRAZY about the classic and retro feel of this townhouse. The wood floors and original moldings really make this home. I also love the marble surround for the tub.

Post a Comment